How to Clean Marcasite Jewellery July 26 2015, 2 Comments
Alot of our lovely customers have been asking us how to clean their Marcasite Jewellery. Below is a step by step guide which I hope you will find helpful. Feel free to contact us if you have any other queries.
1. Purchase a silver cloth, you'll need this towards the end. We always use Town Talk Polishing Cloths, they're excellent and the packaging is pretty cool too!
2. Grab a small bowl or dish and add some washing up liquid and luke warm water. Immerse the jewellery in the water. (Skip this step if any jewellery contains Pearls or Emeralds).
3. Leave in the water for approximately 10 minutes.
4. Using a soft toothbrush gently brush the jewellery, particularly the back of the piece as this is where dust can build up. Be careful brushing around the marcasite stones as they can dislodge easily.
5. Rinse really well under cold water.
6. Dry with a soft cotton cloth, sometimes I use a hairdryer to get rid of any water that is caught in small crevices.
7. Now using your silver cloth, rub the jewellery until it is shiny and new looking again!
8. To prevent Sterling Silver from tarnishing, store it in a dark, dry place away from light and moisture which can react with the metal causing it to tarnish quicker.